- Never react in anger
- Focus on the issues
- Keep your mind open.
- It’s not all about you … or him, or her
- Walk a mile in the other person’s shoes
- Be reasonable and respectful
- Trust yourself
- Be assertive, not aggressive
- Don’t air your criticisms in public
- Agree to disagree but support the winning plan
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Writing a memoir about my life in the Legion of Christ and my transition to the world of international management consulting causes me to reflect on lessons I've learned on my journey. Here are some universal principles which help manage interpersonal disagreements at work. Some of them I learned in the Legion; at the time I didn't realize how well they relate to survival in the corporate world.