During the past several years, I've tried to identify some of the characteristics I came across in people that I have met. Characteristics that relate to success.
Many of them were "famous" leaders (including a Pope, CEOs of international business empires, Ambassadors, Justice of the US Supreme Court, Cardinals, Prime Ministers, Toreros, Indy-car and Formula 1 drivers, Athletes, and Politicians). Others were not so famous - but they were leaders nonetheless (including Terrorists, Peasants, Physicians, Nurses, Missionaries, Teachers, Parents, Students, Priests, Nuns, Ministers, and Rabbis).
My list is not all inclusive. take a look and think of the ones I've missed. I don't suppose that any one of the people I've met had ALL of the following attributes; here they are in no particular order -
- Be yourself. Don’t try to impress. Be open. Honest.
- Identify your passion. Know what you love and care about. Act on it.
- Communicate. You can’t love someone without knowing them; you can’t know someone without loving them.
- Thoughtful. Your ability to think distinguishes you from other animals. Use it!
- Believe in yourself. Help others achieve and succeed.
- Be Assertive, not arrogant. Maintain enough self-doubt to be objective.
- Humility. You do not have all the answers. God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason
- Courage. Act on beliefs, intuition, passion. Take the risk
- Sense of Humor. Not the same as telling a joke. Willingness to laugh at yourself. Don't take yourself too seriously
- Integrity. Take the Golden Rule seriously.